Ontario Railway Stations
Both CN and the CPR boasted early stations in Agincourt. The first station was built by the narrow gauge Toronto & Nipissing Railway in 1869. It was converted to standard gauge in 1881 and became part of the Midland Railway (later the Grand Trunk and then CN). It remained in use by CN, followed by VIA Rail until 1981 and was demolished sometime after that.
CPR's Agincourt station was built in 1884 and lasted until 1962. It was replaced by a shelter which remained in use until 1975.
Danforth station, originally known as York, was built by the Grand Trunk Railway (later CN) in 1883. It was located at Main and Danforth and lasted until 1974.
Davenport station was built by the Ontario, Simcoe and Huron Railway (later Northern Railway of Canada) in 1857. The attractive brick building, located at Caledonia Road just north of Davenport Road, replaced an earlier wooden structure from 1853. It stood until 1932.
Don Station was built on the western bank of the Don River on Queen Street E. by the Canadian Pacific Railway in 1896. In 1906 it became a union station with the arrival of the Canadian Northern Railway (laser CN). It was closed in 1967 and moved to the Todmorden Mills heritage park in 1969, where it was on display for awhile but later closed. In 2008, it was moved once again, this time to the Toronto Railway Museum where it is a permanent display building.
Emery station was built by the Toronto, Grey and Bruce Railway (later CPR) around 1870. It was later demolished. The area once known as Emery Village is located at Finch Avenue West and Weston Road in what is now the city of Toronto.
Exhibition station was built by the Grand Trunk Railway on the grounds of the Canadian National Exhibition. It was only used during the exhibition season. The station was demolished in 1912 due to grade separation. It is currently being rebuilt by Metrolinx as a new station on the Ontario line.
Islington station was built by the CPR in the early 1920s. It replaced an earlier station built by the Credit Valley Railway. It was demolished around 1971.
Leaside station was built by the Canadian Pacific Railway in 1945/46, replacing an earlier station (not pictured) that was destroyed by fire. It was used by the railway until 1982 and then by a number of commercial and business operators. It is now owned by Metrolinx which has plans to re-adapt it for use on the proposed Midtown GO line.