Ontario Railway Stations
Toronto's first Union Station was built by the Grand Trunk Railway in 1858 not far from the location of the present day Union Station. It was shared with the Great Western Railway and the Northern Railway until those railways built stations of their own.
It was followed in 1873 by a second Union Station, also built by the Grand Trunk. The station proved to be woefully inadequate and in 1893 was extensively enlarged and refurbished. It was used until 1927 and dismanteled in 1931.
Toronto's third union station was built in 1920 but did not open until 1927, largely due to beaureaucratic wrangling. It remains in use as a railway station and transportation hub.
The Northern Railway of Canada's second station was built in 1861 and located at what is now Spadina and Front Streets. A third station (not pictured) was built in the centre of town in 1867. Known as the City Hall Station, it was far more convenient for travellers and quickly became the more popular of the two. The Northern Railway was absorbed by the GTR in 1888.
The Great Western station was built in 1860 and replaced an earlier structure. It was used as a freight terminal from 1884 to around 1900, after the railway was taken over by the GTR. From then on it was used as a wholesale fruit distribution centre until 1952 when it was destroyed by fire.
The North Toronto CPR station was opened in 1916 and replaced an earlier station that was demolished in the 1920s. It closed in 1930. Since that time it has operated as a liquor and beer outlet. It was restored in 2004.